Sunday, April 10, 2011

Coconut Kofta Curry

I like this one a lot, since it reminds me of childhood. My mom and various aunts who had a big role to play in the grooming and maturing of my taste buds, seemed to specialize on this dish. Sweetness of the coconut, tanginess of the yogurt and the spicy masala all go very well together here. Moreover, I like koftas of all kinds. For some strange reason, I like my food delivered to me in small spherical shapes (Meatballs, falafels, rosogollas, kala jamuns, Malai koftas - the list is endless). I think the shape does something to the taste for me! Well, here goes!


You need

Chana Dal - 1 small cup
Sliced/Diced Coconut - 1+1/2 small cup
Dry red chilies - 2
Finely chopped coriander leaves
Bay leaves
1/2 tbsp Turmeric,
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp Coriander powder
1 big Onion - sliced
1/2 big onion, 1 inch ginger, 3 cloves of garlic blended into a paste
Curd (Yogurt) - 1 small cup

  1. Soak the chana dal for 4 hours. The chana dal you get in the US, is softer and somehow gets ready in 30-45 mins. But if you are in India, you have got to soak it well (We must like our dals real strong!)
  2. Now, blend the the soaked chana dal, the diced coconut, 2 red chilies and salt well. You will get a thick wet, oily (courtesy the coconuts) paste .
  3. Mix the chopped coriander in the dal-coconut paste and make the koftas (small spheres).
  4. Fry the koftas in low heat, gently. The koftas taste great when they are softer, but that also means the extra care is needed while frying. Adding a little maida (all purpose flour) helps the binding.
  5. In the same pan (I like using the same pan, since it retains the flavor of the coconuts), add some more oil, and the bay leafs.
  6. Add the sliced onions and fry till golden brown
  7. Add the OGG (Onion-Ginger-Garlic) paste and fry till oil separates
  8. Now add the turmeric, cumin and coriander powders and cook well.
  9. Once the raw smell is gone, add 1 cup of water and bring to a boil
  10. In low heat, add the yogurt to make a thick paste while stirring well.
  11. Drop the koftas and warm for 2 more mins


Serve with rice or parathas (I prefer rice and other mild pilafs)


No comments:

Post a Comment